A finger-licking vegan honey recipe made by simply reducing apple juice and sugar syrup to a thick gooey constancy. It is flavored with chamomile flower tea bags to give it a more honey-like flavor.
Do vegans eat honey? Always been a debate between circles and ultimately the truth is that honey is made by bees for bees and not for humans so it is unethical to consume honey. So here I come with this aromatic vegan honey recipe.
If you are missing some honey on your peanut butter toast after going vegan this recipe is for you. It’s sweet and gooey and will taste fantastic on pancakes, cereals and in your salad dressings. This syrup is not only easy to make but it tastes just like honey. All you need is four ingredients 30 minutes and you come up with a jar full of delicious honey-like goodness.
Vegan Honey Ingredients:
- Apples: You can simply use any kind of apples.
- Sugar: I am using raw sugar; you can use white or coconut sugar as per your choice.
- Chamomile Tea Bags: They will give this syrup a honey-like smell and flavor, you can use any floral tea bags or dried flowers like rose or dandelion flowers.
- Lemon Juice: This will give a hint of citrus flavor to this syrup.
Note: To minimize the steps you can use a store-bought organic apple juice.
How to Make Vegan Honey at Home?
Steps involved in making the vegan honey at home are
- Washing and scrubbing of surface wax from apples. You can use warm water, vinegar, salt or baking soda to remove that wax. If organic apples are available that will be great.
- Slicing and deseeding the apple. Do not remove the peels as pectin in peels will help to thicken the syrup quickly.
- Blending the apple into a puree and then separating the juice from the pulp.
- Next, add lemon juice chamomile tea bags and sugar into the juice and reduce this mixture to half.
- Remove the tea bags after two minutes of cooking as the can tear apart while stirring and will be difficult to remove once the syrup gets to a sticky consistency.
- Let the liquid reduce to about half. And cool over a cold-water bath and transfer to a glass bottle.
- You will get a delicious vegan honey alternative that you will enjoy.
How to Get the Right Consistency?
To check the desired thickness, let the syrup drip from the spoon. If the drippings are forming a string-like shape it is all done. This may take 20 to 25 minutes. Keep your eye on this so it doesn’t boil over and keep stirring. If you cook it for too long this can get overly thick and caramelizes.
Cooldown this mixture in a cold-water bath to get an idea of consistency. If you realize it is too thick you can make it a bit thinner by adding some boiling water. and If it is too thin even after cooling down you can simply put it back on the stove and reduce until you get the desired consistency can also check the thickness of a cold metal spoon during cooking.
How to Store the Vegan Honey?
This beeless honey stays very well for months because of the high sugar content. Sugar acts as a preservative and this will make its shelf life quite long. You can store it in the fridge in an airtight container but this will make it slightly thicker. So if you want a smooth-running consistency then keep it out of the fridge. I keep mine on my shelf but you could keep it in the fridge if you prefer.
This aromatic vegan honey syrup keeps super well if you’d like to have a nice substitute on hand for when you’d normally use honey. This makes a delicious vegan gift for your loved ones.
VEGAN HONEY RECIPE
A finger-licking vegan honey recipe made by simply reducing apple juice and sugar syrup to a thick gooey constancy. It is flavored with chamomile flower tea bags to give it a more honey like flavor.
- 5-6 Medium Apples
- ½ Cup Water
- 1 Tbs Lemon juice
- 1 cup Raw Sugar
- 2 Chamomile tea bags
Wash and remove surface wax from the apples. The best way is to leave them in very hot water for a minute and then scrub with a dry rough towel. You can add some vinegar and baking soda to the water, this will help in breaking the wax coat faster.
Cut apples into 4 to 6 slices and remove seeds. Do not peel apples as natural pectin in the apple peel will help in the thickening of the syrup.
Transfer apple slices into a food processor and pour over half a cup of water. Blend until pureed. It should be smooth enough that juice can easily be separated from the pulp.
Separate the juice from pulp using a strainer or a nut milk bag, whatever is available. This will yield approximately 3 cups of apple juice.
In a pot, combine the apple juice, lemon juice, raw sugar and chamomile tea bags. Bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium.
Remove the tea bags after two minutes of cooking as they can tear apart while stirring and will be difficult to remove once the syrup gets to a sticky consistency.
Let the liquid reduce to about half. To check the desired thickness, let the syrup drip from the spoon. If the drippings are forming a string-like shape it is all done. This may take 20 to 25 minutes. Keep your eye on this so it doesn’t boil over, caramelizes or burn.
Cooldown the mixture over a cold-water bath and transfer into a glass bottle.
Enjoy this aromatic vegan honey.
- If a metal strainer is not working in your case you can use a nut milk bag instead.
- You can save time by using two cups of organic pressed apple juice. It works just as well. Do not add additional ½ cup of water and simply take 3 cups of organic apple juice.
If you try this recipe, leave a comment and show some love by rating it in stars. Do not forget to take a picture and tag us @getsetvegan on Instagram. We would love to see this.