broccoli cheesesoup is the ultimate in comfort food! This is deliciously cheesy, incredibly rich, and creamy, and there’s plenty of fresh broccoli (cut into small pieces, of course).
Do you love this combination of flavors? Also try my cheddar broccoli potato soup and the slow cooker broccoli cheese soup.
The best broccoli cheese soup
This is really the best broccoli cheese soup I’ve ever had! Better than the local soup shops and chain restaurants (Panera Bread). And this recipe doesn’t have any of those weird, shelf-stable processed cheeses like some of these famous versions.
It’s made from minimal ingredients, is incredibly hearty, full of fresh homemade flavors, and easy to prepare.
Chances are, it will quickly become one of your best soup recipes! In other words, a staple on the autumn and winter menu.
Bring the cold weather and sweater weather, we’re ready! Ok, maybe not really, but warm and cozy soups make it so much more bearable, right?
Cheers to the soup season!
Broccoli Cheese Soup Ingredients
- Fresh broccoli: All you need for this recipe is the florets, the tree-like ends. Reserve stalks for other uses, such as coleslaw.
- Butter: Stick to butter here, not olive oil, for the best flavor.
- Yellow onion: Onion is an important ingredient in the flavor of this soup. Additionally, you can add 1 thinly diced carrot if you want to sneak into another vegetable.
- Garlic: We only use 1 clove in this recipe so it doesn’t affect the taste of the cheese.
- All-purpose flour: This is used to thicken the soup and it will help the cheese melt more smoothly.
- Milk: I usually use low-fat milk here, but to make it richer you can use whole milk.
- Chicken soup: Vegetable broth works well too.
- Whipped cream: You will love how rich this makes the soup. We don’t need a lot, a little can make a big difference.
- Hot Cheddar Cheese: Extra hot is also delicious for a stronger cheese taste.
- Parmesan cheese: A secret ingredient that really makes it the best!
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper: Add to taste. Just remember that the cheeses have so much that you won’t go overdue.
How to make broccoli cheese soup
- Fry the onion: Melt the butter in the saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until almost tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Making roux: Add garlic and flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add liquids: While stirring, slowly pour in milk and then chicken stock. Stir in broccoli.
- Let thicken: Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Let broccoli cook: Then reduce the heat and cook for about 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently, until the broccoli is tender.
- Add cream and cheese: Stir in the cream, cheddar and parmesan cheese until melted.
- Season: Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm with more cheddar, if desired.
Does Frozen Broccoli Work?
Yes. Remember, fresh is best and has the best texture, but in a pinch, frozen broccoli florets, thawed and diced smaller will work too.
Can i use white cheddar?
Yes. Hot or extra hot white cheddar also works great. Remember that the soup is tinged white instead of orange.
Can you freeze this soup?
No. Because of the milk and cheese in this soup, it doesn’t freeze well. It is best enjoyed within a few days of making. But trust me, it will go away quickly!
Store and warm up
- The leftover soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- Heat in a saucepan over warm heat on the stove, stirring frequently.
- Or heat individual servings in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave at 50% power, stirring occasionally.
- Remember that cheese can peel off a little when reheated. Still, it tastes delicious.
What to serve with broccoli cheese soup
1 hour of homemade bread or no kneading bread
Homemade bread bowls
Tips for making the best broccoli cheddar soup
- Cut the broccoli into small pieces. That way they cook faster and the overall texture of the soup is better. No biting into large pieces of broccoli.
- Finley dices the onions very small or they don’t cook through quickly enough. Nobody wants crispy onions in this soup.
- Use a lot of cheese. And avoid having mild or medium cheddar or soup not very flavorful.
- Add some parmesan cheese on top of cheddar cheese. It adds a lot of flavor.
- Do not overheat (cook) the bechamel sauce (Flour-milk mixture) or it does not have the same thickening properties.
- Do not use pre-shredded cheese or the soup may get grainy and the taste won’t be as good. Start with a block and rub it fresh.
- Stir the cheese off the stove so that it doesn’t separate and curdle. You can even let the soup cool for a few minutes first.
- Wait for the season. I like adding salt at the end after adding salty cheese so you don’t make it overdue.
More cozy soup recipes you’ll love:
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Really the best broccoli cheese soup! It’s perfectly cheesy, hearty, rich, creamy and super easy to make! Combine it with fresh bread for a delicious cozy dinner. Makes about 8 cups.
- 6th tablespoon Butter, cut into 1 tbsp pieces
- 1 Cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup + 3 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 3 1/4 cups low-fat milk, then more too thin if desired
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 Cup Whipped cream
- 3 Cups (wrapped) finely chopped fresh broccoli florets *
- 10 2 1/2 cups hot cheddar cheese or extra hot cheddar cheese plus more to serve **
- 1 1/3 cup finely crushed Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, taste
Melt the butter in the saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until almost tender, about 4-5 minutes.
Add garlic and flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
While stirring, slowly pour in milk and then chicken stock. Stir in broccoli.
Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to thicken. Then reduce the heat and cook for about 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently, until the broccoli is tender.
Take off the stove. Stir in heavy cream, then stir in the cheddar and parmesan and mix until melted.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm with more cheddar, if desired.
- * Use only one serving of flowers from approx. 2 broccoli. I started with about 1 pound of broccoli crowns, chopped off most of the stems, and then chopped the florets into very small pieces about 1 cm. Sometimes I like extra broccoli so I use 4 cups.
- ** Use spicy cheddar for a milder taste. For a stronger taste, use cheddar cheese with an additional shape.
- ** Use freshly crushed cheese made from cheese blocks for the best taste and texture.
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Amount per serving
Calories from Fat 351
% Daily Value *
Saturated fat 24g150%
cholesterol 121 mg40%
sodium 600 mg26%
potassium 739 mg21%
Vitamin A. 2024IU40%
vitamin C 109 mg132%
calcium 634 mg63%
iron 2 mg11%
* Daily percentages are based on a 2000 calorie diet.