A soup that will satisfy your body and soul.
Have you ever noticed that your taste buds change with the seasons? While the warm summer air gives way to cooler weather, the desire for cozy soups with a rich taste increases. In addition to its delicious and calming flavors, our Moroccan lentil soup also offers an abundance of essential nutrients. If you ask me, there is nothing better than a healthy recipe that will satisfy your cravings too. Plus, this soup is incredibly easy to make and only requires one pan, so cleaning up is very easy!
Moroccan spices bring this recipe to life
What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Moroccan food? Spices, of course! This soup is loaded with nutritious spices that will nourish your body and awaken your taste buds. Here are some of the spices used in this soup, along with their health benefits:
- cumin: In addition to its immune-boosting properties, cumin can also improve digestion and cognitive (brain) function. It can even prevent premature aging!
- cardamom: This spice can improve sleep, improve blood circulation, and even relieve joint pain by reducing inflammation in the body.
- cinnamon: This spice is considered an antioxidant powerhouse for several reasons. It offers antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that are known to be beneficial for your health.
- turmeric: Turmeric is perhaps the most beneficial spice, and it can detoxify the body, boost the immune system, help control diabetes and help reduce weight. It can even contain properties that fight diseases like arthritis and cancer.
Hearty, nutritious ingredients
In every cup of this vegan soup, you get a hefty serving of protein and a whopping 22 grams of fiber. This vitamin-rich dish is also low in sugar and fat and naturally gluten-free and dairy-free. With just over 300 calories per serving, this recipe is as guilt free as it gets!
We love how this soup is full of nutritious ingredients. The sweet potatoes are a Heart-healthy vegetables that are rich in iron, vitamin B6, vitamin D, potassium, magnesium and much more! It also contains a dense concentration of fiber that promotes a healthy digestive tract.
Meanwhile, the green lentils also bring a lot of health benefits. If weight loss is one of your goals, then green lentils should definitely be a part of your regular diet. They’re also great for lowering cholesterol and can even strengthen the structure of your muscles!
With so many incredible flavors and health benefits, there’s no reason not to try this deliciously simple Moroccan lentil soup. If you want to prepare this meal, a something heartier, combine it with our delicious Summer herb naan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion small, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves chopped
- 1 sweet potato diced
- 2 cups green lentils flushed
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground carnations
- 6th cups Vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon coriander chopped
Heat olive oil in a medium-sized stock pot. Once hot, add the onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender. Add the garlic and sweet potato, cook another 5 minutes or until they just start to soften.
Stir in lentils, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, pepper and cloves. Stir for about 1 minute until the mixture becomes very fragrant.
Pour in vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils and potatoes are tender.
Pour into bowls and sprinkle with fresh coriander.
SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8th
Did you make this recipe
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or tag it with #skinnyms
Nutritious food has never tasted so delicious! Be sure to let us know what you think about this Moroccan soup in the comments section.
Would you like to have recipes like this sent straight to your inbox? If so, be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. You can also follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more awesome healthy meals, exercise tips, meal plans, and more!