This Cheddar broccoli potato soup (AKA Cheesy Vegetable Chowder) is creamy, soothing, and absolutely delicious!
It’s a mashup of my favorite broccoli cheese soup and my creamy potato soup, and it’s sure to please even the most awkward of eaters.
Cheesy broccoli potato soup
Full of hearty potatoes, nutritious broccoli, and carrots, this seriously satisfying soup embodies a rich and creamy, deliciously cheesy broth. It can even take a top spot in your repertoire as your new favorite soup!
And can we talk for a moment about how calming and cozy it is? With all the sudden fits of fear and worry in the world, it is amazing what a bowl of soup can do for the soul.
No, I am not suggesting eating discomfort in our life. but Maybe take a moment to breathe. Eat some soup and take the time to remind us of everything we need to be thankful for. Gratitude can go a long way, despite the given circumstances and uncertainties (and how to proceed).
Let’s also remember to be kind, if there is time to band together, it is now. Don’t forget about a neighbor who may need help.
I send love and wish all the best to my friends!
Hope you have the chance to enjoy a bowl of soup and some sunshine this weekend!
Back to the soup, here is what you need to make it:
- chicken soup
How to Make the Best Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup
Here are the simple steps you need to follow (scroll down for the full recipe):
- Fry the carrots, celery and onions in melted butter. Fry the garlic.
- Stir in the chicken broth, potatoes and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover with a lid and cook.
- Stir in broccoli and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Boil the butter and flour in a separate saucepan. Stir in milk, heat and whisk until it thickens.
- Mix in the cream and remove from the heat.
- Stir the milk mixture into the soup.
- Remove cheese from heat and mix until melted.
Can I use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth?
- Yes, if you are a vegetarian you can use vegetable broth instead of the chicken broth. Just stick to low sodium so you have more control over the saltiness.
- Also use a vegan or vegetarian parmesan.
Can I replace the cream with milk?
While you can use more milk in place of the cream, just keep in mind that the soup isn’t that rich and creamy.
Tips for Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup
- This broccoli and potato cheese soup doesn’t freeze well because of the dairy. If prepared beforehand, store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- If you don’t have cheddar, try another flavorful, well melting cheese like Gruyere.
- You can also use cauliflower instead of broccoli in this potato soup recipe.
More delicious recipes you’ll love:
Cheddar broccoli potato soup
This cheddar broccoli potato soup is creamy, calming, and extremely tasty. It’s sure to please even the most awkward of eaters. Grab a bowl and make yourself comfortable!
Servings: 6th People
- 5 1/2 tablespoon butter , divided
- 1 1/3 cups Chopped carrots (about 3)
- 1 Cup chopped celery (2 stems)
- 1 Cup chopped yellow onion (1 small)
- 2 Cloves garlic chopped
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 1/2 cups peeled and diced rust-red potatoes Cut 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick (2 tall)
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets (from approx. 2 heads)
- 1/4 TL dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6th tablespoon All-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (preferably 1% or 2%)
- 1/2 Cup Whipped cream
- 2 cups shredded hot cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 1/3 Cup finely chopped parmesan (1 ounce)
Melt 1 1/2 tbsp butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, and onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer.
Stir in the chicken stock, potatoes and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium to high heat, then reduce the heat to medium, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes. Stir in broccoli and cook 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
In the meantime, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. While whisking vigorously, slowly pour in milk (whisk well until there are no more lumps).
Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to boil and thicken slightly, stir in cream. Remove from heat and, as soon as all vegetables are tender, pour into soup and stir. Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar and parmesan cheese until melted. Serve warm.
- This broccoli and potato cheese soup doesn’t freeze well because of the dairy. If previously prepared, store in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- If you don’t have cheddar, use a good processed cheese like Gruyere. A little blue cheese would work very well too.
- You can also use cauliflower instead of broccoli in this vegetarian potato soup recipe.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy
Cheddar broccoli potato soup
Amount per serving
Calories from Fat 315
% Daily Value *
fat 35 g54%
Saturated fat 21g131%
cholesterol 107 mg36%
sodium 568 mg25%
potassium 1008 mg29%
carbohydrates 38 g13%
Vitamin A. 6270IU125%
vitamin C 50.3 mg61%
calcium 557 mg56%
iron 2.2 mg12%
* Daily percentages are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Recipe first published on January 2nd, 2015. Text updated on March 13th, 2020.