Simnel cake. Simnel cake is a light fruitcake formerly eaten during the pre-Easter period in the United Kingdom, Ireland and some other countries but has become a traditional cake for Easter Sunday. It is distinguished by two layers of almond paste or marzipan, one in the middle and one on top. The top layer is capped by a circle of "eggs" made of the same paste, and is lightly browned under a grill.
Simnel cake is a traditional Easter fruitcake, packed with dried fruit and spices and topped with sweet marzipan. Originally, this cake was made for Mothering Sunday, but it has for a long, long time been an essential Easter confection, the marzipan balls on top representing the apostles: eleven in total as, for understandable reasons, Judas is persona non grata. A simnel cake is a classic British cake, traditionally eaten on Mothering Sunday or at Easter time. You can cook Simnel cake using 30 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Simnel cake
- Prepare of For the marzipan:.
- Prepare 100 g of ground almonds.
- You need 100 g of icing sugar, plus extra to dust.
- You need 2 of free-range egg yolks.
- You need 2 tbsp. of lemon juice.
- Prepare of For the cake:.
- You need 5 tbsp. of milk.
- You need 1 of good pinch of saffron.
- Prepare 150 g of raisins.
- You need 150 g of sultanas.
- Prepare 40 g of brandy, vin santo or white rum.
- You need 50 g of bleached almonds.
- You need 175 g of plain flour.
- You need 1 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 45 g of ground almonds.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of fine salt.
- You need 2 tsp of mixed spice.
- Prepare 180 g of butter, at room temperature.
- Prepare 180 g of soft, light brown sugar.
- You need 3 of eggs.
- It’s 1 tbsp. of golden syrup.
- It’s of zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange.
- Prepare 50 g of glacé cherries, halved.
- It’s 50 g of mixed peel.
- Prepare of apricot jam, to brush over the cake.
- It’s of For the icing:.
- Prepare 30 g of caster sugar.
- Prepare 25 g of butter.
- Prepare 20 g of lemon juice.
- You need 110 g of icing sugar.
Usually a simnel cake is a round cake, made with two layers of fruitcake, sandwiched together with a layer of marzipan (almond paste). Simnel cake is a delicious fruit cake traditionally eaten at Easter time in Britain. Sally toasts the marzipan with a blowtorch just before serving to give the cake a golden finish. If you don't have access to a blowtorch, you could place the cake under a grill for a similar effect.
Simnel cake instructions
- Put the raisins and sultanas in a mixing bowl or a small zip lock bag. Heat up the spirits to almost boiling, pour it into the fruit and mix well. Seal the bag or cover the bowl and leave for a few hours, best overnight, to soak..
- Butter and line with parchment a 20cm deep cake tin. Prepare another disc of parchment the size of the tin to place on top of the cake, to stop it from burning. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/gas 2..
- Warm up the milk and put the saffron strands into it to soak. Toast the almonds in a dry frying pan or in hot oven on a baking tray for 10-15 minutes until they turn golden. Cool and chop roughly..
- Mix the flour with the baking powder, ground almonds, salt and mixed spice and put to one side. Beat the butter in an electric mixer, add the sugar and beat well until the mixture turns pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating continuously, alternating with a little flour mix. Beat in the rest of the flour, golden syrup, zest and the milk with saffron..
- Drain the soaked fruit if necessary – but all the liquid should have been absorbed. Stir them into the cake batter together with the chopped almonds, peel and glace cherries..
- Take the marzipan out of the fridge and roll it out on a surface dusted with icing sugar to a disc the size of your tin. Spoon half the cake batter into the tin, place the marzipan disc in and spoon the rest of the cake mix on top..
- Smooth the surface with a spatula and place the parchment disc on top..
- Bake the cake for about 1 ¾ – 2 hours until a skewer inserted in the middle (not too deep because of the marzipan layer) comes out clean. Cool in the tin, unmould and brush the top and sides with the apricot jam warmed up slightly in a small pan..
- To make the icing, bring the butter, caster sugar and lemon juice to the boiling point then pour over the icing sugar. Whisk to a smooth paste, add some yellow food colouring for extra Easter cheer..
- Spread the icing over the top of the cake with a palette knife, making sure no crumbs mix into the icing and spoil the effect. Leave to set..
Bake this classic Easter simnel cake. Families would gather and servants were awarded a rare day off to take flowers and gifts of Simnel cake to their. Cut the cherries into quarters, put in a sieve and rinse under running water. Drain well then dry thoroughly on. For the cake, in a large bowl using a handheld electric whisk, beat butter, sugar, flour, mixed spice, eggs and ¼tsp fine salt, until combined.